Introduction to Nanophotonics – Overview
About the lecture
Time and placeLecture: Tuesdays 14:00-16:00 c.t.
Tutorial: Thursdays 14:00-16:00 c.t.
Format: Presential lectures and tutorials (Conference Room, Nanoinstitut Munich, Königinstraße 10)
Moodle link: https://moodle.lmu.de/course/view.php?id=24062
Lectures start on October 26th, Tutorials start on November 4th
Note: If you would like to attend this course and wants to apply for getting the correspnding credits, please also register for the Tutorials in the LMU online course system at https://lsf.verwaltung.uni-muenchen.de/
- Prof. Stefan Maier, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Leonardo Menezes, email@example.com
- Dr. Andreas Tittl, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tutorials and grading
Your total grade will be composed of the grades of 3 exercise sheets distributed along the semester and the grade of a 12-15 minutes long talk you'll give on a topic defined 2 weeks before the talk. Specifically, the talk presentation will make up 70% of your grade while the grades of your handed-in exercise sheets make up the remaining 30%.
The following topics of nanophotonics will be covered
- Review of macroscopic electromagnetism, dielectric function, evanescent fields
- Propagation, focusing, resolution and localization
- Confined matter: quantum effects on the electronic structure of matter
- Nanophotonic materials systems, localized surface plasmons I
- Localized surface plasmons II, surface plasmon polaritons
- Metamaterials and metasurfaces
- Weak and strong coupling, photonic density of states
- Dielectric nanocavities I: Mie modes
- Dielectric nanocavities II: bound states in the continuum
- Confined light: photonic crystals and optical microcavities
- Quantum emitters, single photon sources
In addition, selected topics of current research will be discussed.
Verantwortlich für den Inhalt: Prof. Leonardo Menezes